Pest control in Vancouver and BC’s Lower Mainland is tricky business. Nobody likes being overrun by insect pests, but the idea of using harsh chemicals for extermination and pest removal is increasingly unpopular.
Luckily, finding a Vancouver pest control professional that uses low-toxicity methods for insect pest removal has never been easier!
Pest Detective is the Vancouver pest control company you are looking for. We pride ourselves on being able to handle most insect pest problems with environment-friendly and non-toxic methods.
But before you spend money on professional pest control, maybe there are some things you can do yourself!
Here are some tips on how to handle common insect pest problems:
- Prevention is key! Caulk and seal all cracks where insects can get in your house. Clean up spills in cupboards, on floors and on counters quickly. Cover trash cans and keep all food tightly sealed. Keeping your home clean and tidy is an excellent first step in keeping your home pest-free without chemical pest control deterrents.
- Fleas in Vancouver. Wash pet bedding and loose rugs in hot water to kill fleas and their eggs. Vacuum often and dispose of bags outdoors. Wash your pets regularly with a low-toxicity flea shampoo and use a flea comb.
- Termites in B.C. Again, conventional treatments can be highly toxic. And remember, termite infestations are often highly localized around your porch and near your foundation, so you’ll probably only have to treat a small area. Boric acid treatments have low toxicity and can be very effective.
- Kill Moths without Chemicals. Avoid toxic mothballs. If you find moths in your woolens, put them in the freezer for a few days. This effectively kills the moth larvae. And get your clothes dry-cleaned. Moths are attracted to perspiration and food, so keeping clothes clean reduces the likelihood of an infestation. Lavender is an excellent repellant.
- Aphids and other indoor plant pests. Soap-based insecticides are effective against many plant pests. Other ecological solutions like diatomaceous earth and BT also work well.
- Beat Silverfish Before they Beat You. Keep your home clean and garbage free, and don’t let old paper and cardboard accumulate. Silverfish love moisture, so clean up any liquid spills right away. Rosemary, camphor, cucumber peels and costmary repel silverfish. If these preventative and repellant methods are insufficient, try boric acid.
- Give Bedbugs the Boot. Getting rid of bedbugs can take weeks and even months, depending on the extent of the infestation. They are a real problem and you should consider getting professional advice on how to proceed.
If you are looking for a Vancouver exterminator, give us a call at Pest Detective! We’ll help you any way we can using the most effective environment-friendly extermination methods available.
Contact us today!