Rodents not only wreak havoc on your property, but they put your health at risk too. Mice and rats are known for carrying a variety of diseases, so the moment you realize you have a rodent problem, you need to take action. Because of their habits, rodents are extremely difficult to control and can be a menace to your property. With an approach of preventative measures and timely action, you can help prevent an infestation.
How to Keep Rodents Out with Pest Prevention Measures
Pest prevention is your best defense against a rodent infestation. Once mice and rats have found their way in, you may need to contact a professional for pest control. Some ways you can work towards keeping rodents out include:
- Storing your garbage in trashcans with tight-fitting lids.
- Placing your trashcans outside only before pickup and never leaving open bags of trash out on the curb.
- Removing debris and weeds from around your house—this removes places for rats and mice to hide.
- Storing pet food properly and never leaving open pet food outside.
- Sealing any cracks or holes in your basement with mortar and inspecting annually for any possible intrusion points.
- Keeping screens and windows sealed tight and inspecting them periodically for any holes or signs of chewing.
- Ensuring you have no hiding places for rodents. That includes removing lumber piles, boxes and unused materials in your garage as well as backyard.
- Keeping doors sealed and closed. Use metal trim to prevent rodents from chewing their way inside.
- Keeping your home sanitary by sweeping and washing up food, cat litter and debris.
- Watching for any traces of rodent feces or smell of animal urine.
Got Rodents? Contact an Exterminator for Pest Control
Rats and mice are born to survive. Unless you understand how they operate, it may be difficult to eradicate a rodent problem once it occurs. If you notice droppings or other signs of a rodent infestation (chewed holes, gnawing or scurrying sounds at night), contact an exterminator. The team at Pest Detective can help you identify what types of rodents are entering your home and eliminate the problem quickly and efficiently.
Contact us today to learn more about rodent control and to schedule your pest control appointment today.